Serpentine Specialties

Forums

Forum Home > Ratsnakes > Newly Discovered Ratsnake Morph!!!!!

Douglas Mong
Site Owner

* hypo "greenish" ratsnakes "moonshine" morph

These are a VERY newly discovered TRUE locality-specific ratsnake!. The original, extremely pale, off-white "greenish" ratsnake (a natural intergrade Yellow Ratsnake x Black Ratsnake) was captured by a good friend of mine (Jim Godfrey) in June of 2006 in the extreme northeast corner of S. Carolina.

The coined name given to this unique morph evolved over a long period of time, and over this long period, Jim finally decided that this morph would be coined the "moonshine" ratsnake. He decided on this name because of the two very distinct dark and light phases of the moon (as in the two distinct phenotypes of this morph).

He captured this snake while preparing to go to work just before the sun came up one morning on a huge secluded wildlife preserve in a very wooded swampy area of the state. The snake at the time of capture was just shy of 20 inches in length. As it matured, it began taking on more of a light lavender pattern, and had very faint lavender blotches, as well as slightly darker longitudinal stripes that are also indicative of these ratsnakes pattern. The coloration also began to shift from basically a solid off-white to a light yellow and pink hued coloration. This animals eyes also seemed to be very dark, and not deep red or pink as in amelanistic albinos. This was also verified by the the very well-known snake breeder Don Soderberg, as he saw and handled this snake personally too.

Jim later caught two locality "greenish" rat females that he also captured less than 150 yards from where this original off-white male was found, and I have their EXACT capture locations pin-pointed on "google earth". How's THAT for precise locality data folks?

He later bred the morph male to these two females he later collected in hopes that this was a simple recessive trait that could be inherited, and produce morph offspring in the future. Well, as luck would have it, this trait did indeed prove-out to be a simple recessive one, and he has since produced morphs, as well as heterozygous recessive gene carriers for this genetic mutation. The REALLY bizarre thing about this morph, is that some are extremely light with very noticeably pink pupils, while others are slightly darker with corresponding darker eyes. Quite an odd thing to see, and is why this morph might be better termed as hypomelanistic, rather than lavender T-plus albino, but this newly discovered morph is still very much in it's infancy, so there is still plenty to learn here about what exactly might be going on genetically with these!

Needless to say, this very interesting and newly discovered morph is as locality-specific as it gets!. This is definitely one incredible and unique morph to be included in the herpetocultural hobby in future years!.

Below is a photo of the original morph grandfather of my future breeding group when he was approx 30 inches long.

This is what he looked like when fully mature.......

Here is a photo of what these intergrade "greenish" ratsnakes normally look like in their native habitat, of course there can be some variation within individuals.  You can clearly see the huge difference of a normal wild phenotype underneath the original morph male in this photo.....

Below is a photo depicting the two distinct phenotypes(visual looks) that he recently produced. The blotches on these hatchlings will gradually give way to very faint lavender colored blotches and longitudinal striping as is displayed in the adult hypo morph above.

And here is another clutch shot of a few individuals......

I am very excited to be working with these, and certainly look forward to producing these very unique locality gems myself!. These will hopefully be available in 2012.

The above photos are courtesy of Jim Godfrey.............................. thanks so much Jim!

Here are some pics I took of the morphs I recently acquired .........

here is an extremely light male with very noticeable pink eyes.

and here is a slightly darker hypo female with solid black pupils from the very same clutch!.

and a normal "looking" het female "greenish" rat.

another het male that is a bit grayer overall.

From what I have seen so far, this hypo gene seems to act very similar to the way the "extreme" hypo gene acts in Honduran milksnakes, in that there can be considerable variability within any given clutch of hypos, and some clutch offspring can be much lighter than others. Some can have dark pupils, while others can have very noticeable red pupils, and virtually anything in between.

These are extremely interesting snakes, and I am very happy to be one of the very few people in the world working with this very unique locality-specific morph. Thanks for looking everyone!

~Doug

--

" a snake in the grass is a GOOD thing " 

January 8, 2011 at 10:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brad Sillasen

Man, I am so high on those. Good for Jim, what a find and contribution to the hobby. Thanks for the highly informative post Doug!

January 10, 2011 at 4:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Douglas Mong
Site Owner

Brad Sillasen at January 10, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Man, I am so high on those. Good for Jim, what a find and contribution to the hobby. Thanks for the highly informative post Doug!

Boy, I definitely know what ya mean there Brad!.......they are big-time cool as all hell man! I just knew you would love those things, and that you remember Jim's posts about them on the rat forum on KS as well.

I am stoked to be working with these too bud!.........can't wait to find out morre about the gene(s) in the future!

And you are very welcome about the informative post there too.  The thing being that if ALL of the details are not presented about these, some people might think they weresimply  just some silly bullshit cross that someone "stole" a previously known gene from an already known  morph in the hobby that we all see all the time in the classifieds, etc....LOL!

Anyway, glad you like those bad-boys too Brad!!!........they are freakin AWESOME!!!   :)

~Doug

--

January 19, 2011 at 3:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jorge Sierra

It's been a while, but I dropped by to see if you had more pics of these bad boys here, and you did! I like all of those, even the more normal phenotypes.  I hope they are doing great for you Doug.

--

~Jorge

Sierrasnakes.com

March 28, 2011 at 11:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Douglas Mong
Site Owner

Jorge Sierra at March 28, 2011 at 11:46 PM

It's been a while, but I dropped by to see if you had more pics of these bad boys here, and you did! I like all of those, even the more normal phenotypes.  I hope they are doing great for you Doug.

Thanks Jorge!,....

Man, they are growing like absolute WEEDS!!, and eating good sized hoppers now. Their phenotypes have changed since those pics too.

~Doug

--

March 30, 2011 at 12:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AlexN

Hey Doug, do you know if the albino Greenish being sold are from a real albino Greenish or if the albino gene was introduced by way of another albino rat snake?

--

July 8, 2012 at 9:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Douglas Mong
Site Owner

AlexN at July 8, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Hey Doug, do you know if the albino Greenish being sold are from a real albino Greenish or if the albino gene was introduced by way of another albino rat snake?

Hi Alex,.....

Well, if you are referring to the one's BHB has advertised, or the one Marten Fischer has posted on the photo gallery on kingsnake.com, I wouldn't believe those are real natural intergrades at all!.  I find it very doubtful that they are actually a natural intergrade Yellow x Black rat amel morph and aren't simply a man-made amel cross those guys tossed together to simply appeal to the general public. If they are a different source, who is working with them, do you know?

BTW, thanks for joining the site, and enjoy having a look around. There are many old forum posts and a few hundred pics on the "Photo Gallery" tab at the top of the home page as well.

Anyway, it isn't impossible for them to be authentic, but at the rate  people in this hobby cross shit together all the time, I would have to know the origin of those animals and know the breeder well to be satisfied that they weren't  man-made mutt crosses someone tossed together. I've seen too much of this on a very daily basis on countless forums and classified ads over the years.

If you have any other questions you can email me at  [email protected]   as I rarely check over here on the forums any more. The forums here used to be very busy with quite a few herper friends, but the new novelty of it sort of wore off after a long while of having the new site up and running..LOL!

BTW, I am assuming you mean a tyrosinase-negative amelanistic "albino" and not these "moonshine" locality-specific hypo/t-plus morphs I have from Horry County?  Because these are as real as they come being a true locality-specific morph. Even the normal females used in 2008 were even captured less than 150 yards from the morph male's place of capture.

cheers,  ~Doug

--

July 9, 2012 at 1:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.